Monday, January 16, 2017

Picture Frames


I've had these wooden frames for a while now and didn't really know how I was going to use them.

So I searched in Pinterest.
Here was my inspiration that I found on Pinterest.
I opted to paint mine red because it was the only color I had enough of on hand to cover all the 3 frames.


I had these metal clips in my stash of supplies. I think I got them at Hobby Lobby.

After the paint was dry, I added a piece of scrapbook paper.

Here is a little trick I used to hang them. Get some tooth paste.

I did a drop on top and bottom of where the nail would go.

I held it against the wall.

Then added the nail.



The cool thing is, I can trade out the papers inside the frames.
So for Christmas, I'm going to use the papers below.




Don't forget to use the coupon codes
20PERCENTDISCOUNT for 20% off
and FREESHIP2017 for free shipping in my Etsy Shop.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Discount Codes for My Etsy Shop

Use the following coupon codes in my Etsy shop,
to receive 20% off and free shipping on all domestic orders.

FREESHIP2017
and
20PERCENTDISCOUNT

Use these codes at checkout.


Sunday, January 8, 2017

One Little Word


If you haven't heard of the movement called One Little Word, let me introduce you.

It started with Ali Edwards. Basically, it's a year long project where you pick one word you'd like to focus on for the year. Through her workshop, you are given prompts to explore your word. I did it previously here.
This year I chose the word aware, because I would like to be more focused on my family and the things that matter. Last time I created a journal to log my explorations. So I decided, why not another journal?



For this project, I was inspired by my new workout clothes I got for Christmas (seen below).


My hope was to use the sticky backed canvases from my stash of supplies for the covers. So I started to paint them and then this happened above.
So I attached them to cardboard pieces from scrapbook orders I saved, then painted them.

I just peeled a little off at a time and attached them.

Worked much better. I started with a base of light/bright orange. Let it dry about 10 minutes then started adding layers of darker orange.


Then I added some stenciling in a light blue.




For the darker blue I reversed the stencil.

And then I got impatient, and added the bottom stencil layer before the brushes were dry (I kept washing and drying my brushes). So this happened. EEK!

So I added a family photo and frame over it.

It's far from perfect, but it's my new journal and it's ready for me to explore the word "Aware".

Monday, December 26, 2016

Joy Banner

Here's my new Joy banner that I made today using leftover scraps of the red burlap from my wreath. 



Lay freezer paper on your Cricut mat and send it through your Cricut machine.


I made a little mark with chalk where I wanted the bottom of letters to go.


Iron for a couple of minutes.


Add acrylic paint. I used white.

Let it dry. Mine was not completely dry when I removed the freezer paper.

I attached my banner to jute using glue.

I staple gunned it to my shutter.
Viola. Easy banner.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

My New Christmas Wreath

Here is my new Christmas wreath!
It's made out of red burlap, a straw wreath (I recommend using foam instead) and greening pins (I recommend using just regular boutonniere pins....see tutorial I followed below).



The red and blue really go great with our mantel color story.

Here's my inspiration tutorial found over at Find It, Make it, Love it.

I had a different tutorial I was using when I purchased my supplies. Then I stumbled upon this tutorial and wish I'd found it first. It has really great step by step photos. So great, I didn't even bother taking step by step pics of my own. Just go check out her tutorial!

It all started with this red burlap that I purchased on-line about 5-6 years ago (about 1 yard). I knew I wanted to do something Christmasy with it but didn't know what. Our wreath got damaged last year so I tossed it, so our mantel needed one desperately.

The straw wreath was 12 inches and really hard to stick those greening pins into, especially after a few overlapping layers of burlap.

It took me about an hour from start to finish but I used a rotary cutter like she did to cut my squares. If I was cutting them all individually, I could see how it would take longer.

For my bow, I wanted the contrast of the shimmery blue against the rough, red burlap. It had wire edging, so even though I've never tied a bow in my life, it was pretty easy. Here's a good bow tutorial for bow tying over at Skip to my Lou.


I had enough burlap squares left over, I plan on making a banner to hang on the shutter on the mantel. That will probably be my next project.